Thursday 27 September 2012

In Front of the Screen

Movies are magical in that they bring out emotions, thoughts, and feelings that you wouldn't have if it weren't for the two hour alternative reality they provide for.  I, personally, am not a huge fan of horror movies, with the last one I watched being "Scream" in sixth grade. However, this week, I attended the much anticipated release of the film Kept at the Globe Cinema, downtown Calgary for the Calgary International Film Festival

Approximately 2 years ago, I had the pleasure of stepping onto the Dalmatian Coast Productions set of Kept, which was my very first behind the scenes experience.  It was actually my dog who got the initial invite, and who starred in the film (proud moment), but I got the pleasure of watching and learning.  From the point of view of someone who is not in the industry, it was an eye opener to the time and effort that goes into a film, and as Josip Condic mentioned at the screening; the work that goes into a film AFTER the filming is even more-so.

Even having been there during some of the filming, and having an idea when/what was to happen, it was hard to not get sucked into the intensity and suspense in front of the screen, thanks to the quality of the acting, directing, and cinematography.  I also figured that seeing as my long time friend (Condic) was the lead actor, I wouldn't be affected by the 'horror' aspect.  But I was, and must admit I spent a good portion the movie with my eyes closed.  
Sitting in front of the screen, two years later, I couldn't believe the magic they created, and am super excited to have shared in such an exciting event with everyone!  I am sure that Kept is just a taste test into what will come in the future, and I hope to be able to watch the team grow and succeed. 

One last photo of the Director; Kruno Malnar, as he gives Zada a pep talk prior to her highly important scene.



No comments:

Post a Comment