Monday 5 March 2012

To be Inspired

Since the excitement of the last official photoshoot I have found myself in the midst of a photography rut.   Talk about peaks and valleys.  I generally like to capitalize on creative moments but they have been few and far between.

This weekend I did some self psychoanalyzing to figure out what exactly I tend to draw on for inspiration.  I came up with a long mental list, but of course never wrote it down (a lot to be said for external cognition!! - note to self).  I will continue in congruence with the saying you only remember the important things, so here is my categorized list;

People. Obviously? It's people who stay in your lives that really impact who you are and where you're going, whether it be your deranged family or new mentee. There are always relationships being made and if you pay enough attention there is at least one thing to learn from others' life experiences. That alone is inspiring, and makes me want to tell life stories through photos.  I also find those people who are closest to me, and provide constructive feedback very important and always try to include some of their perspectives into my future shoots.  A photo for you of my Grandmother and I, and one of my recent photos she inspired... Always looking for photos of old buildings as her painting inspiration!

Professional photogs.  If there's anything I have learnt from my other half, it is that you can always improve.  There is always someone, somewhere doing something a little different to get a better shot.  I love looking at National Geographic photos that people have taken around the world.  The awe inspiring landscapes, human character or natural elements never fail to put my camera in my hand.  You can follow their photos on twitter @NatGeoPhotos .  I also enjoy looking at Nigel Barker's work ("noted fashion photographer" for any ANTM fans).  His blog / life in general, and his devotion to a cause is something to aspire for - currently wrapping up a shoot in Moscow, Russia.

Writers.  Photographers and writers have a lot in common, just their medium of presentation differs.  A photo is worth 1000 words, and 1000 words is worth a photo - a mental one, but they have the ability with the power if their pen (or computer nowadays) to put an imagine into your mind.   The more I read, the more creativity I am able to harvest.  Must get my nose back in a book - current book on the go is one of Bruce Perry's books - highly recommended!


"Seasoned" things - people, places, inanimate objects etc. has years of experience and a lifetime (or more) of a story to tell.  As stated in my Static Momentum blog post, I enjoy, and draw inspiration from anything that is aged.  Where has it been? Who were they 30 years ago? How did it get where it is today?  What is/was the purpose? All these questions inspire me to make my own story through the photograph.

Gratitude helps to inspire.  Be grateful and you will always have something that you can turn to for inspiration.  Must count my blessings this week and stick that camera in my hand!

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more that inspiration comes from things we are grateful for. And I love the photo of the old house! We have many still standing in our area and I can hardly resist taking a walk out to see them and take a look around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gratitude really is the purpose of life. I wish I had a lot of older buildings around where I live! They have so much character!

      Delete
  2. I agree, definitely. The medium may be different but it's the same creative process!

    I love this post!

    oxo,

    ML
    www.twentyyork.com

    ReplyDelete