Wednesday 14 March 2012

PARKSHOW 2012.

The fact that I was raised in suburbia Calgary was magnified this past weekend when I attended my first official fashion show.  I was invited by my dear University friend Ashley of Lions_Lace_Lattes  fashion blog and had to take her up on the offer.  She put a ton of hard work into the show and it most definitely paid off!

I went with my sister in law - a small town girl, and as we arrive to the event there are two sparkling Mercedes outside with a beautiful girl in a ball gown I would wear to a red carpet event.  Slightly intimidating to say the least, seeing as I was wearing pants and boots, looking as though I was headed to a local pub.  We convinced ouselves [or maybe it was the wine?] to make our way inside and everyone was very friendly!  We viewed the art that was being exhibited and took in the runway.  Due to my procrastination we purchased the more expensive seating and were surprised to find fashion magazines with cupcakes on top on the seats in front of us.  Felt like there was some irony to that, but it made for a nice decor.

It was amazing how many photographers were there to cover the event.  Lights, many cameras and action - the show began.  It was interesting to see first the clothing, and then the designers who would pop their heads in to say a little hello to their fans.  Being a fashion noob, I don't think I was able to appreciate the design of some of the items as most of the cultured fashion goers, but it was very exciting to see everything live in action. 

I must admit, my favourite part of the experience was observing the attendees!  I concluded that the main ingredient to fashion is confidence.  Some people were wearing items I could only picture in Indiana Jones' movies, but once you watched them interact or even just float around the room, it became obvious that it was not about the clothes they had on, but how they were wearing the clothes.    It is truly amazing how beauty originates from the inside - even at a fashion show, where everything is about what is on the outside for that moment. 

Fashion allows people to express their individuality, and if they are able to express with confidence, that is when you're able to turn the unexpected into the exceptional. I enjoy fashion. And I enjoy the fact that fashion comes in all diverse colors, fabrics, textures, shapes and sizes; just like humans can have different nationalities, shapes, sizes, features, styles, interests, beliefs and experiences.  As I mentioned in the Rustic_Edge blog post, I hope that one day my brand in the photography world will be bringing out that confidence in ANYONE and creating a story that makes them feel like they're stomping out a cat walk on their own runway.

I have many tangents that I would love to fly off on, but for now I shall leave it at this... I enjoyed PARKSHOW 2012, and highly recommend it for next year!!

2 comments:

  1. I went to one fashion show while I lived in Calgary but it wasnt as high end as this one! What a neat experience. And I love your observations of the other fashion show addendees. Great to see so many different styles and personalities. Sounds like an enjoyable event and a fun way to get ideas for your own wardrobe. =)

    And I have to admit, Im a cupcake fanatic! So even if I were surrounded by thin and beautiful women, I would of finished off that cupcake in no time. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so interesting to see such a diverse group of people all in one place! And yes, the cupcakes got devoured quickly!

      Delete